Frequently asked questions

What services are available and can be found on

You can use to find infectious disease services in your area of New Mexico. This includes HIV testing, prevention, PrEP, medical care and support services. You can also search for testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases (STD) and hepatitis C. The guide can also help you find harm reduction services, including syringe exchange and overdose prevention (Naloxone).

Can I get tested for HIV without going into an office or clinic?

HIV test sites around New Mexico offer a variety of options. If you prefer not to visit in person, you can get an at-home test kit for free from

Is there a way to figure out if I’m at risk for HIV?

Yes, you can try the CDC’s new risk estimator

What can I do after a risky sex or needle sharing contact to avoid getting HIV?

If you’re HIV-negative or don’t know your HIV status, and in the last 72 hours (three days) you think you may have been exposed to HIV during sex (for example, if the condom broke), shared needles and works to prepare drugs (for example, cotton, cookers, water), or were sexually assaulted, talk to a public health office, a health care provider, or an emergency room doctor about PEP right away. More information can be found here nPEP

What options do I have to prevent HIV, in addition to using a condom?

One of the best way to prevent HIV is Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis, also known as PrEP

What is pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP)?

"PrEP" stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. It’s about taking a medicine before you might be exposed to HIV through a sexual or needle-sharing contact. The medicine can protect you from getting HIV. More information can be found here PrEP

Can I get help telling my partners that I have HIV or an STD?

Partner services is available in all regions of the state. You can learn more here: PS-brochure-2018-final.pdf

I'm confused about all the jargon here. Where can I find definitions of all these acronyms and words?

Do I have to pay for an HIV test?

You don't have to pay for an HIV test if you receive a test at your local public health office or local HIV prevention organization. If you have private insurance and ask for an HIV test from your doctor, co-pays or lab test fees may apply. But most preventive tests – like an HIV test – are now free under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). You can check with your doctor or insurance to make sure!

Do I have to give my name to get an HIV test?

All HIV, STD and hepatitis testing is done confidentially. That is like any medical procedure. You do give your name but the provider has to keep it private.

Do I need permission from my parents to get an HIV test or STD services?

Anyone who is 12-years-old or older can request sexual health services for themselves. You don’t need to get permission from your parents or guardians. Any of our partner sites can help you. Just search for an HIV or STD services organization that’s near you.

What if my HIV test comes back positive?

We have resources for HIV care and support in every region of New Mexico. All agencies that offer HIV testing are aware of these resources and have ways to link clients to care. You are not alone. And the sooner you learn of your HIV status and get linked to care, the better you'll do on HIV treatment. There are many medical options available now.

Where can I get a rapid (on-the-spot) HIV test with results right away?

Rapid HIV tests get results back within a single visit to the test site, usually in about 30 minutes or less. This type of test is available at the following organizations:

How does this site work, anyway? is a searchable database of services in the state of New Mexico. It has information related to HIV, STD, hepatitis C, syringe exchange and overdose prevention.

You can find services in a few different ways. You can search in just one city/town, or in a whole county, or in any of five larger regions of the state. Parts of New Mexico are very rural; you may need to expand your search to a bigger area or the nearest large city to find a provider that serves your specific needs.

I can’t find what I’m looking for.

That's a hard question to answer. If you're not searching for a health-care provider who works with HIV, viral hepatitis, STDs or harm reduction, you're probably in the wrong website anyway. You could contact your local public health office or personal physician for a referral, or contact us, and we'll help you find what you need. Since our resource guide is still growing, we may have other resources not yet listed online.

I searched in my local area and nothing came up.

Try expanding your search to surrounding counties, or search by larger cities nearby. Or, reduce your search options; put in a city name, say, and omit the county. If you still can't find something suitable, get in touch with us and we'll help you out.

I tried calling a resource guide entry and it was the wrong number.

Send us a note letting us know which organization you tried calling. We'll try to get back to you with the correct number within two business days. We also appreciate your assistance in keeping the guide up to date!

Get in touch!

If you've got a comment or a question about our site, please use this form to get in touch. We're always glad to hear from our users, and we promise to respond to every email as quickly as possible.

One caveat: If you're a provider submitting a correction to your listing, please use this form instead »